Lauren Gohier, 25 years old from Lyon, France works for the communications team of Air liquide in Brussels. She applied to the company in 2017 and has been working there ever since.
Business Data Scientist - Sales & Energy
Air Liquide is a global leading supplier of industrial and medical gases. In North & Central Europe and CIS countries, Air Liquide operates an extensive pipeline grid (in the Benelux and in Germany) and several on-site production units to deliver industrial gases (oxygen, nitrogen, hydrogen and carbon monoxide), as well as cogeneration plants ( co-producing steam and electricity). The heart of Air Liquide’s operations in this zone is located in Brussels where three departments are gathered within the LI-Performance Organization :
- ROCC (Remote Operations Control Center - 24/7) : focuses on operations
- LEAD Center : focuses on operation optimization, diagnostic & improvement
- Energy Management : focuses on energy strategy and projects
This LI-Performance organization centralizes expertise, tools and analytical skills to ensure that our assets are operated along their optimum performance mode, for which it is directly accountable.
WHAT DOES THE ‘Business Data Scientist’ DO?
Based in Brussels, you will work within the Digital & Data Science team, focused on delivering innovative data solutions leveraging BI & predictive analytics for Operations, Sales and Energy Management in Air Liquide Large Industries NEC and CE clusters (Northern Europe, CIS and central easter countries). As part of this team, you will work on strategic, diverse and agile projects finding new ways to extract value from data for the business and its customers. On this path, you will act as a bridge between the technological and non-technological departments and interact with a network of experts (R&D, smart innovation, performance managers, business developers & sales teams, digital factory teams, etc.). You are accountable for the deployment and life cycle of digital solutions for the ROCC, LEAD and Energy Management and your performance will be evaluated mainly based on the value created by the solutions developed and implemented.
During the 2021 period, a particular attention will be given to:
- Energy and Carbon analytics related projects, for which you also act as Lead data scientist
- Set up a self service BI & Analytics culture in the organisation, as it is a key enabler to extract value from our data.
MISSION AND MAIN ACTIONS
Your mission can be described as follows :
- Commercial model & Energy risk management : you are Business Analytics Translator. You are in constant interaction with LEAD Performance Managers, Energy Managers and the Sales team to propose solutions for the Business cases they identify.
- Data Science : you deploy predictive & Prescriptive models for decision support related to Energy Management and Sales. In particular : you leverage AL cloud to its full potential regarding Machine Learning and you act as Solution owner for the delivered algorithms. You animate a community of Self Service analytics champions and act as the cluster representative for best practice sharing (with R&D, the Digital and other clusters).
- Business Intelligence and Big Data : in coordination within our Digital ecosystem (BIS/Factory/GIO) you deliver capability for Data management and visualisation. You coordinate Data Quality efforts within your perimeter.
- You manage projects in your perimeter with Agile project management methodology
- You are the interface between LEAD, ROCC, Energy management and business administration for all that has to do with data and tools.
WHAT ARE THE EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS?
The ideal candidate has a good knowledge in Air Liquide’s LI operations and a strong interest in Data Science and Project Management. She/he must be comfortable with Air Liquide’s key processes (network optimisation, sales, energy and reporting) and have a very good understanding of modelling and data architecture concepts.
- Strong Analytical Skills & result oriented
- Eager to learn, Highly creative and ready for ‘new ways’ & challenges
- Project driven : strong in building/following action plans, KPI’s, deadlines and gatekeeping
- Team player and able to work with multiple interfaces and levels of seniority
- Experience in defining a data science approach to solve business problems is a plus
- Hands-on experience with a programming language (R,python), cloud (eg. AWS), SQL a real plus
- Bilingual: English, French and/or Dutch are required. English/French/Dutch is a real plus.
WHAT SKILLS WILL I DEVELOP IN THIS JOB?
This position is exposed within Air Liquide’s cluster organization (operation and management) and within our ecosystem innovation centers (Digital Fab, R&D, Digital). Performing well in this role will make it a perfect step towards senior positions in Operations or Digital.
More info about the company
[Testimonial Laura] Air Liquide: where I enjoy every day at work
CATÓLICA-LISBON: Your Business school in the heart of Lisbon
Have you ever thought of studying an MSc Program, fully taught in English, in the heart of Lisbon?