Many students are reluctant to the idea of an internship. A lot of them have the wrong idea of what working as an intern is like. First of all, get rid of the stereotype of the student whose tasks ...
Toyota Motor Europe
2019-2471 Visualisation Service Aim to Customers, Toyota Parts Supply Chain Group – Operations Control Dept. – Customer Support Team
TOYOTA is one of the world's largest automobile manufactures and a leading global corporation. Founded in 1937, Toyota now sells vehicles in 170 countries and employs over 300.000 people.
Based in Brussels, Belgium, and staffed by 2700 people and more than 60 nationalities, Toyota Motor Europe (TME) handles the wholesale marketing of Toyota and Lexus vehicles, parts & accessories, and manages Toyota's European R&D, manufacturing and engineering operations.
The Toyota Parts Centre Europe is located in Diest & is responsible for managing the total supply flows on parts and accessories suppliers, through our networks, up to our customers mainly in Europe. The Diest facility itself recieves parts from over 700 different suppliers (from Japan, Asia, Pacific, US to local suppliers) managing over 260,000 part numbers and >150 trucks per day in a dedicated 100,000m2 facility.
It’s 2 outbound logistics roles covers; providing direct overnight supply to >600 Toyota dealers in local region, and supporting European Regional Distribution Centres in the entire European region up to Russia, Kazakhstan and South Africa to ensure a consistent high level of Just In Time service to all our distributors and Toyota dealers within Europe and our final customers beyond.
The Customer Support Team is responsible for monitoring & visualising the business performance from & towards our customer and to understand and facilitate on the needs & dreams of our customers.
Background for your project:
Continuous Improvement is a pillar of the Toyota Way (Toyotas DNA). Two of the key fundamentals for successful Continuous Improvement ("kaizen") are:
- Standardization (on which improvements can then be implemented to ensure business benefit is realised)
- Visualisation so that the standard can be easily understood and compared with others to identify improvement opportunity
Due to many changes in the organisation the visualisation of the foundations of Toyota Parts business has been lost and as a result "kaizen" is not created structurally leading to potential opportunity being missed. Additionally, the lack of visualisation leads to differing understanding of the standards (between members in Toyota, between Toyota and Customers etc).
To create visualisation of the service that Toyota is aiming to give to our customers as foundation for future kaizen and, based on creation of these, to propose some ideas where improvements could be made.
- Study the missing items to visualise from existing visualisations.
- Get management consensus on the expected output.
- Discuss with the different stakeholders and complete the visualisations on A3 sheet per customer.
- Identify the areas for improvement and create an action plan – after management approval - to support kaizen implementation.
- Propose a sustainable process to get the visualisations easy maintained as change is made in the future.
Through the assignment the intern will need to review with many different areas of the business (Supply, Transport, Warehouse Operations, etc.) and therefore gain a broad perspective of Toyotas operation.
- Preferably master degree, logistics/economical/commercial education.
- Genuinely interested in automotive industry and supply chain management.
- Attention to detail and enjoys working in an active supply environment.
- Able to work in an independent way with an output minded mentality.
- Outgoing proactive personality with excellent teamwork skills.
- Very good numeric and MS office skills: Excel, PowerPoint, …
- Fluent in English is essential, Dutch is an asset but not mandatory.
- Owner of a driving license is preferred, but not mandatory.
You have a Toyota DNA, this means you:
• wish to develop and are ready to persevere in order to reach challenging targets
• seek facts before making recommendations or decisions
• have strong planning and organizing skills
• enjoy working in a team, respecting others
• have excellent communication skills
• customer mindset
Place of employment: Belgium – Diest, Toyota Parts Centre Europe.
Starting date: to be discussed, ideally asap
Duration: 12 months
Articles you may want to read
Internship or no internship? That is the question
Participate to the scholarship programme "A Closer Europe" !
GoEuro, the online travel platform which compares and combines air, rail and bus travel, has this month launched their “A Closer Europe” scholarship programme.
- English: excellent