Many students are reluctant to the idea of an internship. A lot of them have the wrong idea of what working as an intern is like. First of all, get rid of the stereotype of the student whose tasks ...
European Pain Federation EFIC
Communications Trainee wanted
The European Pain Federation is a non-profit medical society, focusing on the subject of pain medicine. The Federation is composed of 37 chapters across Europe, with an Executive Office based in Brussels, Belgium. The Federation aims to improve pain medicine through activities in the fields of education, research and advocacy. Projects include a biennial scientific congress, schools and examinations for medical professionals, a scientific journal, research projects and awareness raising activities.
The Executive Office coordinates or implements most of these project, and collectively the team carry out the management of the association, in terms of:
Governance e.g. Executive Board and Council meeting organisation
- Volunteer management
- Organising events and coordinating with external event organisers
- Administrative management:
The Federation is offering a 6-month traineeship focusing on communications. The trainee would also be expected to support on other aspects of association management, such as events organisation and administrative support.
The traineeship will be based in Brussels, at the Federation’s Executive Office in Ixelles, Brussels, Belgium. The trainee will be provided with a 6-month learning opportunity, working with the Federation’s team to develop experience and skills in communications for a non-profit organisation.
The traineeship would be ideal for anyone who wishes to work in any of the following fields:
- Events and association management roles
- Non-profit and charitable sector
- Medical societies
- EU affairs
We aim to provide a traineeship which offers a true learning and development opportunity in the aforementioned areas of focus. We will set learning objectives with the trainee with evaluation taking place at the half-way (3 month) mark and at the end of the traineeship.
Communications and marketing
Assistance in the Federation’s communications activities;
- Drafting articles and press releases
- Social media account use
- Developing online and offline promotional materials
- Update of website (WordPress)
- Use of newsletter tools (Mailchimp)
- Digital marketing and search engine optimisation actions
- Building the Federation’s community and promotional database
- Monitoring developments in the health policy sector relevant to pain
- Attendance of and reporting on selected EU health policy events in Brussels
- Monitoring developments in the pain medicine industry sector
Association management and administration
- Assistance with the organisation of Executive Board and Council meetings
- Update and maintenance of databases and other information tools and templates on:
- The Federation’s chapters
- Partner associations
- EFIC promotional database
- Assistance with logistics, materials, gifts, stationery etc
- General support to the Executive Secretary
- Is interested in or has studied one of the following fields; communication, marketing, , events management
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Familiarity with communications and social media tools and activities
- Flexibility, willingness to learn and adapt
- Ability to work independently and within a team
- Analytical and critical thinker
- Legal right to work in the European Union
- Holding EEA nationality (EU countries, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway)
- Familiarity with WordPress
- Familiarity with MailChimp
- Understanding of digital marketing
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office 365, OneDrive and SharePoint
- Working knowledge of other European languages
- Good knowledge of IT systems generally
- Interest in health, health communication, public health related matters and NGOs advocating for health
- Interest in analysis and research
6-month paid traineeships and travel reimbursement
The following learnign outcomes (to be discussed and agreed at the start of the traineeship)
- Gaining familiarity with and understanding of a working budget and operations timeline for a biennial meeting of over 3,000 attendees and a budget of over 1 million euros.
- Establishing a working knowledge of tendering and negotiation processes with key suppliers.
- Gaining experience in establishing basic events management processes such as defining timelines and checklists.
- Understanding and defining a communications plan and coordinating an organisation’s communication channels
- Understanding and defining an organisation’s style guide and learning to write in the format and style appropriate to an organisation
- Gaining experience in writing brief intelligence reports to inform other team members on developments
- Gaining experience in compiling professional quality contacts databases with high value information and recommendations
- Gaining knowledge in association and volunteer management
Please send your CV and cover letter by 15 November 2019. We aim to the trainee to start in early January 2020.
Articles you may want to read
Internship or no internship? That is the question
Participate to the scholarship programme "A Closer Europe" !
GoEuro, the online travel platform which compares and combines air, rail and bus travel, has this month launched their “A Closer Europe” scholarship programme.
2017-08-07=job.status_textAccreditation Canada Internship1000 BrusselsThis job has multiple locationsStudy level: All study levels Regime:
2017-01-15=job.status_textOksigen Lab Internship1000 BrusselsThis job has multiple locationsStudy level: All study levels Regime: Full Time
2016-05-01=job.status_textDUO for a JOB Internship1050 IxellesThis job has multiple locationsStudy level: Bachelor Regime: Full Time
2016-02-01=job.status_textFor Youth Internship1030 SchaarbeekThis job has multiple locationsStudy level: Bachelor Regime: Full Time