Many students are reluctant to the idea of an internship. A lot of them have the wrong idea of what working as an intern is like. First of all, get rid of the stereotype of the student whose tasks ...
Francophone External Relations Internship
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees offers assistance and protection to refugees around the world. UNHCR is one of the largest refugee agencies, with a staff of over 9,300 employees in 123 countries who help millions of refugees, returnees and internally displaced and stateless persons.
General description of internship
• Researching and summarizing information on a variety of historic and current refugee issues
• Monitoring and analyzing the Belgian and Luxembourg press on a daily basis
• Writing, editing and translating texts (English and Dutch into French), usually for the website
• Finding and loading content onto Twitter, the website and Facebook, to strict deadlines
• Assisting with the organization of events
• Giving presentations to children in schools and summer workshops
• Taking, editing and filing photographs
• Making and editing videos and slideshows
• Assisting with the creation of publications (brochures, bookmarks, posters)
• Assistance with general office tasks on an ad hoc basis
Interns are entrusted with increasingly independent tasks. We seek individuals with a responsible, follow-up approach. The UNHCR External Relations office for Western Europe is also strengthening its use of social media and videos, for which the interns are key contributors. We continuously innovate with new projects. Interns participate in meetings; their creative ideas, technical knowhow and other contributions are highly valued. Some of our projects’ end results are visible on our website unhcr.be, in which the interns play a key role in updating.
The External Relations Unit for Belgium and Luxembourg seeks a native French-speaking intern for preferably five to six months, and in any case no less than 3 months, starting 15 September 2015. The intern should have a good command of English and a good comprehension of Dutch and knowledge of the media sector (including social media). Graphic design, website content management and video-making and editing skills are a strong asset.
What we offer
• Work in a dynamic, international environment
• Learn about state-of-the-art promotional techniques
• Learning about refugee issues with one of the largest humanitarian organizations in the world
• First-hand accounts of refugee situations, via presentations given by staff assisting refugees in Belgium and abroad
• Experience with a UN agency
• Wide variety of interesting tasks
• Chance to practice English
• Letter of recommendation from a prestigious organization
Articles you may want to read
Internship or no internship? That is the question
Participate to the scholarship programme "A Closer Europe" !
GoEuro, the online travel platform which compares and combines air, rail and bus travel, has this month launched their “A Closer Europe” scholarship programme.
=job.status_textGroupe One Internship1050 BruxellesThis job has multiple locationsStudy level: All study levels Regime: Part Time
=job.status_textGroupe One Internship1050 BruxellesThis job has multiple locationsStudy level: All study levels Regime: Full Time
=job.status_textMAD Internship1000 BruxellesThis job has multiple locationsStudy level: Master Regime: Full Time
=job.status_textASBLissimo Internship1170 Watermael-BoitsfortThis job has multiple locationsStudy level: All study levels Regime: Full Time
=job.status_textFondation Be Planet Internship1050 BrusselThis job has multiple locationsStudy level: All study levels Regime: Part Time
=job.status_textUNCDF Internship1000 BruxellesThis job has multiple locationsStudy level: All study levels Regime: Full Time
- French: mother tongue
- Dutch: medium
- English: good