Many students are reluctant to the idea of an internship. A lot of them have the wrong idea of what working as an intern is like. First of all, get rid of the stereotype of the student whose tasks ...
Internship- Administrative Assistant
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is an independent humanitarian organisation providing assistance, protection and long-term solutions to displaced persons worldwide. NRC has its headquarters in Oslo, Norway, and has operations in over 30 countries, as well as representation offices in Addis Ababa, Brussels, Dubai, Geneva, London, Berlin and Washington.
NRC’s representation in Brussels was established in 2005 in order to strengthen the existing relationship between NRC and the European Union. NRC Europe’s main role is to support NRC’s country programmes in their collaboration with the EU institutions by improving communication with EU and Member States donors, and by providing evidenced based policy analysis on issues affecting refugees and displaced persons to decision makers in the EU.
NRC Europe is responsible for NRC’s relationship with the following donors: DG ECHO, DG DEVCO, DG NEAR, France (AFD and French MFA), The Netherlands (MinBuZa), Belgium, EFTA-FMO, Grand Duché du Luxembourg, Spain, Ireland and Italy.
Position: Administrative Assistant (Internship)
Reports to: Finance and Administrative Manager
Supervision of: none
Duty station: Brussels
Role and responsibilities
The Administrative Assistant will work in the Norwegian Refugee Council’s Representation Office in Brussels (NRC EUROPE). The office is one of the units in NRC’s Partnerships and Policy Department (PnP).
- Order and maintain office and kitchen supplies,
- Support the finance and admin manager to Coordinate repairs to office equipment, building maintenance requests, and act as liaison with building management
- Book conference calls, meeting rooms, hotels, restaurant reservations etc.
- Provide logistical support for internal and external events and meetings
- Provide general support to visitors
- Support the Finance and admin manager to Develop and maintain computer and manual filling systems using intranet filing system according to the NRC filing tree, monitoring accurate placement and ensure staff access to e-copies of NRC policies and procedures
- Draft routine correspondence, as needed
- Maintain up to date asset list/inventory of all purchased non-consumable materials, with the supervision of the finance and admin manager
- Administrate office keys, NRC ID cards, and other processes or systems connected to office facilities
- Keep the team Calendar updated.
- Assist with the onboarding and installation of new staff members including office, furniture, telephone as well as providing information on key administrative procedures.
- Support the Finance manager to maintain and keep up to date any personnel related lists, including the staff address, telephone and next-of-kin register
- Other additional administration tasks, as requested by the team.
- Handle sensitive Information in a confidential manner
- Vocational training and qualification in the relevant skilled profession or a related field, understanding of data privacy standards, integrity and honesty.
- Superior attention to detail and organisational skills.
- Excellent computer skills, including proficiency in Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Ability to function under pressure and to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Self-motivated and with a positive attitude.
- Conscientious, collegial and service oriented.
- Flexible, innovative and effective in working collaboratively as part of a multicultural team.
Context/ Specific skills, knowledge and experience:
- Fluency in written and spoken English; some knowledge of French preferred.
- Interest in working with humanitarian issues.
- Eligible to work in Belgium
- Planning and delivering results
- Working with people
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Coping with change
- Contract: Belgian “Social immersion professional contract” (Bruxelles formation) meal vouchers and transport allowance included.
- Contract period: April 2020 – September 2020 (maximum 6 months)
- Deadline for applications: 16/03/2020
- Please note that only applications received through Webcruiter will be considered (www.nrc.no/vacancies)
- NRC may be required to verify the identity of its partners and to check that its partners have not been involved in illegal activities.
- NRC reserves the right to use electronic screening tools for this purpose.
Articles you may want to read
Internship or no internship? That is the question
Participate to the scholarship programme "A Closer Europe" !
GoEuro, the online travel platform which compares and combines air, rail and bus travel, has this month launched their “A Closer Europe” scholarship programme.
- English: excellent
- French: medium