Many students are reluctant to the idea of an internship. A lot of them have the wrong idea of what working as an intern is like. First of all, get rid of the stereotype of the student whose tasks ...
Internship in EU public policy consulting
Technopolis Group is a European leader in strategic policy advice in the field of science, technology and innovation (STI).
Our team undertakes comparative policy studies, foresight, monitoring and evaluation studies and provides strategic advice to various DirectoratesGeneral of the European Commission, European Parliament as well as other international organisations such as the OECD and the World Bank. We also work for national and regional policy makers, research organisations, research funding organisations and public-private consortia in the innovation field.
We have approximately 120 staff in offices in Amsterdam, Bogota, Brighton, Brussels, Frankfurt/Main, Paris, Stockholm, Tallinn and Vienna.
We are offering 3-6 months internships on a recurrent basis at our Brussels office. We seek to appoint enthusiastic interns with interest in, mainly, the field of innovation and industrial policies, digital/technological change or evaluation studies to gain first-hand insights and experience in dealing with international policy projects and studies, and get a thorough introduction to various social sciences methodologies. Core tasks will include:
• Assist in literature reviews;
• Conduct desk research on specific topics;
• Conduct interviews with various stakeholders (industry, agencies, public sector, etc.);
• Support of drafting case studies.
• Support for qualitative and quantitative data collection and analysis;
• Support in data collection strategies and the collection process of data;
• Support in design and management of databases; Additional task may include:
• Support in developing and implementing surveys;
• Possibly conduct data treatment and preliminary analysis;
Examples of current projects include the European Commission’s flagship initiatives, e.g. the Awareness Campaign for the Modernisation of EU Industry – WATIFY, and/or the Business Innovation Observatory +.
We look for candidates with the following profile:
• Recently finalized university education or students currently in their last year of a Master programme, preferably in either economics, public policy, evaluation, business or management engineering;
• Interest in the new developments in science, technology and innovation, and/or competitiveness and SME policy, and/or in industrial policy, business innovation and technical change/digitisation;
• Acquainted with qualitative and quantitative research methods;
• Good attitude towards liaising with different stakeholders (i.e. companies, business associations, cluster associations and regional authorities);
• Good coordination and communication skills, and creativity to come-up with solutions for engaging stakeholders and companies;
• Proficiency in Excel and Word;
• Ability to work in teams;
• Full proficiency of English and excellent drafting skills. Knowledge of any other EU language is a plus;
The successful candidate will work as a paid intern in our Brussels office. The role provides the opportunity to gain experience in working with European service contract studies and develop analytical skills in monitoring, designing and evaluating policies, within a team of like-minded professionals.
Articles you may want to read
Internship or no internship? That is the question
Participate to the scholarship programme "A Closer Europe" !
GoEuro, the online travel platform which compares and combines air, rail and bus travel, has this month launched their “A Closer Europe” scholarship programme.
- English: excellent